REDCAR Racecourse is ready to take the next step towards a return to normality with more spectators being able to watch meetings at the track this week.
The popular seaside course stages meetings on Friday and Saturday and will operate at 100 per cent of its Covid-19 capacity, which has been fixed at a maximum of 2,311 spectators.
Redcar was at 50 per cent of that capacity figure when it welcomed racegoers back for its meeting on May 17 after a year of lockdown, rising to 75 per cent for the Racing TV Zetland Gold Cup Bank Holiday meeting on May 31.
Safety remained the top priority, with measures including social distancing, facemasks having to be worn indoors, touch-point cleaning, and multiple hand sanitization stations.
Now, due to the success of those meetings, the course is moving on to 100 per cent of its allowance this week, with those safety measures still in place.
“It is all about taking one careful step at a time,” said Redcar’s general manager Amy Fair. “We have followed the guidance for a phased return, it has gone extremely smoothly, and we are now ready to take the next positive step forward.”
All tickets must be purchased in advance, and it is expected that the Friday and Saturday meetings will be a sell-out.
In the light of the Prime Minister announcing this week that the full easing of lockdown restrictions will be delayed for four weeks, Redcar will be sticking to the same capacity figure for its meeting on July 18 before it reassesses its position.
Under the current restrictions, Redcar is unable to open the Course enclosure, in the centre of the track, due to ongoing Covid-19 operating requirements.
A two-metre rule will apply to social distancing and the NHS Track and Trace System will be in place.
“It is very much a case of ‘so far so good’ and proceeding with continued caution, but we are delighted to have more spectators back with us, enjoying some great racing,” said Amy.
- For further information and to purchase advance tickets, please go to www.redcarracing.co.uk